Subject: porting pointers?
To: None <netbsd-ports@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 01/19/1996 13:17:20
Well, I've been working on a NeXT port.  I believe I understand the
hardware enough to send and receive Ethernet packets, write to the
screen, and read from the keyboard.  This should be enough to build
something that can run diskless...but now I find myself at a bit of a
loss as to what to do next.  What I want to do is take a kernel build
tree and add arch/next and start hacking on stuff in there.  What I
need to ask is, what will I need to do to set up a kernel
cross-compilation environment?  For example, how does it know what sort
of machine it's building for?  Near as I can figure, it's driven by
${MACHINE} and ${MACHINE_ARCH}, and they seem to be just inherited from
the binaries used to build the make binary...which ain't much help when
it comes to a cross-build.

Is there anyone who's done a port who could be kind enough to take a
few minutes to point me in the right direction here?  I'd certainly
appreciate it.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu