Subject: Re: Compiling NetBSD for SPARC on NetBSD 1.0
To: None <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de, grossman@informatik.tu-muenchen.de,>
From: Pete Delaney <pete@RockyMountain.rahul.net>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 10/11/1995 04:44:02
   > Rolf Grossmann:
   > David S. Miller:
   > Martin Cracauer:
   > 'Most Excellent' Eric Mehlhaff:
   > and other 'Most Excellent' NetBSD Hackers:
   >
   >     NetBSD installed with only minor difficulties. I'm now trying to compile
   > a recient src snapshop under NetBSD 1.0 and tried doing a
   >
   > 		make links
   > in the
   > 		./src/sys/arch/sparc
   >
   > directory and found the makefile expecting a directory
   >
   > 		sbus
   >
   > but the directory missing.

I hope it turns out to be sufficient to just remove the dirctory from the
make file as I have done.

   >                           There appear to be kernel config commands, yet
   > the config command is not being found in my search path.

I found config in /usr/sbin and ran config on the GENERIC_SCSI3 with the
debug stuff turned on. It's compiling now, -g, so I'm now wondering how
to us the kernels debuggers, like kgdb. For instance their was a parameter
for the KGDBDEV, set to 0xc01. Is it safe to assume that oxc01 is ttya and
0xc02 is ttyb?  Is the kgdb stub included in the kernel or is kgdb an external
program like kgdb (as it is in SunOS).

   >								 I recall
   > possibly seeing a README on compiling everything but I didn't find it.

Well, so far so good.

   > How about a few 'Most Excellent' pointers?

Is it a big deal to compile the complete NetBSD release?

Any expected problems with debuging a kernel compiled -g.

How does the embedded kernel debugger, DDB, work?

Is the missing sbus directory going to be a problem?

   > -pete

-pete