Subject: Shared libraries on m68k machines
To: None <netbsd-ports@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Paul Mackerras <Paul.Mackerras@cs.anu.edu.au>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 11/23/1993 09:38:46
I have got shared libraries running under NetBSD on my 68030 system.
I have ported the i386-dependent parts of Paul Kranenburg's shared
library implementation, modified gcc and gas to do the right thing
with PIC code, and added PIC support to the C-startup code and those
parts of libc which are written in assembler.

If you're interested, you can look at the code in ~paulus/shlib
on sun-lamp.  The machine-dependent parts are in directories called
"da30", because that's the name of my NetBSD port (i.e. $MACHINE is
da30 on my system).  The machine-dependent parts are all derived from
the hp300 port, so a diff against the corresponding hp300 directory
will show you what I've changed.

A quick tip if you try to build shared libraries: there's a test at
the end of /usr/share/mk/bsd.own.mk that inhibits the use of shared
libraries for machines other than i386 and sparc.  I had to change
that test to include "da30" before I could get shared libraries to build.

Paul Mackerras		paulus@cs.anu.edu.au
Dept. of Computer Science
Australian National University.