Subject: Re: sys/conf/files.newconf
To: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
From: Adam Glass <glass@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
List: netbsd-ports
Date: 11/21/1993 11:14:58
> > that file is only applicable if you are using 'config.new'.  If you
> > are using 'config.new', then you should contact me.
>
> <root@wipux2:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf> config.new GENERIC
> files.i386.newconf:98: redefinition of `cd'
> *** Stop.
> <root@wipux2:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf>
>
> Not even your GENERIC one works with 'config.new GENERIC',
> but actually I thought it was just a first bit of magnum,
> and was waiting for it to be completely put in.
> Cheers
>
> --
> Eat the rich -- the poor are tough and stringy.

I've repeated this explanation a bunch of times, but here we go again.

There exists a new config written by Chris Torek of LBL.  It is
superior in many ways to the existing config, makes autoconfiguration
easier, is not machine-dependent, and suffers from less bit rot.  This
config is in the tree as 'config.new'.  The kernel configuration, and
meta-information files that it uses are incompatibile with the old
config, though they are structurally similar.

It is currently used by the sparc, sun3, and Magnum i386 ports.  It is
our intent to phase out the use of old config in favor of this new
config, though there is no explicit timeline.

So until otherwise announced, just use 'config'.

later,
Adam Glass