Subject: Re: sun-jdk15 and wireless toolkit v2.2
To: stefanos mparas <>
From: Brian de Alwis <>
List: netbsd-java
Date: 06/20/2007 17:08:05
On 2007.06.20 15:08:59 -0600, Brian de Alwis wrote:
> So I suspect this problem has something to do with the directory
> layout resulting from installing sun-jdk15/sun-jre15.

Looking into this further, the problem is indeed caused by conflicts
in assumptions in the layouts by the WTK's compilation code.

  * The WTK code assumes that the System property "java.home"
    points to a JRE directory contained within a JDK directory,
    and replaces the last with "/lib/tools.jar".  This is true
    for the pkgsrc-wip/jdk15 package and a manually installed
    Linux JDK; it is not true for lang/sun-j{re,dk}15.
    (See com.sun.kvem.ktools.ToolLoader defined in

  * The JVM computes "java.home" by finding the path to
    and lopping off the last four '/'-delimited components.
    Unfortunately the sun-jre15 package installs the in
    So java.home=/usr/pkg/java/sun-1.5, and hence why lib/tools.jar
    isn't found.

The solution is for sun-jre15 to preserve the layout of the JRE
when installing: replacing the jre directory with a symlink no
longer works.  It's ugly, but unfortunately seems to have become

  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC |
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli