NetBSD-Help archive

Re: Please help - configuring e-mail

Dear newsgroup members,

As to the the hostname, do I correctly assume that it can be any valid text
string? Maybe my mistake was that I REALLY call it "mynet" or something
similar, without .com, .net or anything, since actually noone else knows who's
this machine is besides myself!

By the way, my dormitory network does not "trust" me - it merely allows me to
connect to the internet. As to checking the mail, I tried mutt (before I
reinstalled), and it said I have no mail, but I had not configured it either,
so no surprise here. But I checked GMX, the free mail provider (I sent e-mails
to myself), and none arrived. The BSD mail utility also said "no mail",
therefore, I assume indeed nothing was delivered.

date | mail -s TEST myusername

just gives me "postfix/sendmail: fatal: unable to use my own hostname"

I never tried to make an SMTP-server. Is this part of the setup?

No, I don't have hostname=mybox, I actually only have it with the IP-Address:
I have in /etc/hosts:

10.0.0.217 mynet

and in /etc/rc.conf:

mynet=10.0.0.217

that is all.

Yes, last time I indeed DID set in /etc/postfix/main.cf mydomain and
myhostname, and it almost worked, but I was not too certain of what I was
doing, that is why I finally just reinstalled NetBSD, and now I did not set
them - now I just did what I described in my mail to you.

So do correctly assume that now I have to find out how to make an SMTP-server,
and write somewhere hostname=mynet (where?)? Thank you in advance for your kind
assistance.

Kind regards,

Nino

-------- Original-Nachricht --------