NetBSD-Help archive

Re: share one wireless adapter's connection to second device (wireless bridge?)

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 04:18:42PM -0600, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > Do you see dhcp requests from your device on re0, and dhcp replies to
> > these requests ? If you see requests but no replies, tcpdump on ral0. If
> > they don't show up here, either your server didn't reply, or ral0's
> > promiscous mode isn't working.
>
> I only responded to part of this before. I also did the tcpdump on ral0.
> And I do not see the DHCP server's replies. The ral0's promiscous mode is
> working as I can see that I am sniffing wireless traffic on different IPs
> (on a different laptop for example).

Are you sure you're not sniffing broadcast or multicast packets ?
If not, then I promiscous mode should be fine, and I suspect the
issue is on the DHCP server side. Is it some embeded device which acts as
DHCP server ? The access point maybe ? Maybe it won't give more than one
ip per wireless device, independant from the number of MAC addresses sent by
this wireless device ?
Ho, and I guess you don't have MAC adress filtering on the acces point ...