Subject: Re: time issues in 4.0 rc4 on a PC-ENGINES WRAP (SC1100)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: theo borm <theo_nbsdhelp@borm.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/29/2007 14:23:23
theo borm wrote:

<snip>

>>> 1) Running a 4.0 rc 4 kernel on my PC-ENGINES WRAP board causes the
>>> clock to run approximately 37 times too slow.

<snip>

> Is it safe to draw the conclusion that this is a bug in the kernel?

I should have taken the "WARNING: broken TSC disabled" more seriously.

I just discovered a few new sysctls and kernel options ;-)

brouter -> sysctl -w kern.timecounter.hardware=i8254
kern.timecounter.hardware: TSC -> i8254

with a kernel compiled with TIMER_FREQ set to 1189200 makes the system
clock run correctly, sleep N actually sleep N seconds and ping actually
ping.

Unfortunately, a kernel compiled with:

options    NO_TSC_TIME
options    TIMER_FREQ=1189200

results in a kernel still using the TSC, which surprises me.

My guess is that soekris NET4501 kernels will also be broken.

I'll post a note in tech-kern.

cheers, Theo