Subject: Using pdisk for Mac/PPC
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Christer Jansson <christer@janssons.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/17/2007 15:43:38
Hi,

I have created a new partition map with pdisk on my old iMac rev. A/
MacOS 8.6, intending to run NetBSD on it. I have not, however, written
it yet, so the original partitioning table should still be unaffected.

I have followed the instructions at
http://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/partitioning.html
but there is just one catch: when I specify an Apple_UNIX_SVR2
partition, pdisk does not ask me to select a slice as indicated by the
HOWTO.

Consequently, the partition table does not seem to contain information
about the swap partition being a swap partition, or the root partition
being a root partition.

Does this matter?
If it does, what can I do about it?

(I feel somewhat reluctant about overwriting the existing partitioning
table since the only HFS partition I intend to keep is just large
enough to hold the bootloader and won't be used for anything else, so
if I get the partition table wrong, I'll be stuck with a useless
computer.)

Cheers,

/Christer