Subject: Re: Somebody got a scanner to work with xsane?
To: Sigmund Skjelnes <skjelnes@robin.no>
From: D. Aubril <david.aubril@ac-nantes.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/15/2007 09:11:20
Sigmund Skjelnes wrote:
> Hi, all!
> Do somebody got xsane working?
A couple of months ago, it happened that my epson 3590 worked. Once in a
while.

> I'd has an Canon CanoScan N650U USB scanner, the kernel finds it, and
> the sane-find-scanner ( as root ) says ther are a scanner there, but
> is unable to determine what scanner it is. Somewhere in the docs I'd
> read that sane-find-scanner do not work properly with NetBSD, and the
> backend have to be set up manually. I'd have tried to set up plustek,
> this should be the proper backend, but to no use. Xsane could not open
> the device. I'd had to be root, some access rights may not have ben
> set properly. I'd has not tried to get the rights proper yet, I don't
> think that will alter anything else than whos able to access the usb
> device. I'd have searched for some docs for how to do this, but has'nt
> found anything besides a number of people which have the same problem,
> and a person who claims that it's Canon's fault all the way, they're
> not giving avay info needed to make a proper driver.
Don't know about the driver. for the rights, see
http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux. The forth paragraph says :

The device files used by libusb are located in /proc/bus/usb/
(e.g. /proc/bus/usb/001/003) or in /dev/bus/usb/ (e.g. /dev/bus/usb/001/003), if
you use udev.  The exact file name can be found out by running sane-find-scanner
which would print "libusb:001:003" in this case.  While setting permissions with
e.g. "chmod a+rw /proc/bus/usb/001/003" works, this change is not permanent...

> Hope somebody could help.
>
> Cincerely,
> Sigmund

Best Regards,