To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/28/2007 17:52:36
On Jun 28, 2007, at 5:29 PM, Celius Clefia wrote:
> I've read but never tried posting here before. Read some guides to
> mailing
> list but still couldn't understand the concept behind it.

Okay.  Well, welcome....

> 1. Must I subscribe to a mailing list to participate?

That depends on how the mailing list in question is configured.

For many lists, the answer is yes, you would need to subscribe to
post, but it's common for the generic BSD "help" lists (ie, <netbsd-
help@netbsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, etc) to allow
unsubscribed posting.

> 2. Who do I reply to when I get a reply? The mailing list, the
> person who
> replied, or both?

This tends to be a local convention which varies, and some judgement
is applicable.

Again, for lists like this one, where you know that people might not
be subscribed, it's considered normal for people to send replies to
the list and CC: the individual as well.

On the other hand, if you know that someone reads the list, one might
simply send replies directly to the list.

> 3. Now I have noticed that people replies to only the sender's email
> address but how does the reply get listed on the archive when the
> reply
> was directed to the sender's email?

The list only archives postings sent to the list.  If you send
private email just to the person, it's not going to appear on the
archives.

> I haven't subscribe to any mailing list yet.

OK.  And thus we send email to you as well as to the list...  :-)

--
-Chuck