Subject: Re: OT - Suggest Network Terminal Where Netbsd Installs Easily
To: Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
From: mowestusa <mowestusa@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/28/2007 07:43:16
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm looking forward
to setting up my "free" Pentium 166. I have a Toshiba
laptop which is a 166 with only 32 megs of ram, and
NetBSD installed without an issue. I have used the
"binary packages" CD and a USB Flash drive to install
other software onto the laptop. I only have it running
in CLI mode, but I use it at my LUG meetings to take
notes and to do other writing. It works great, and
NetBSD on this machine is wonderful. I haven't tried
to set up X because of only having 32 megs of ram, and
I haven't taken the time to figure out how to manually
configure the x.configuration file, because I don't
know how to find out the Horiz and Vert scan rates on
an old LCD like that, and other options that I'm not
sure of.

I appreciated the simplified explaination of why you
can't install NetBSD on serial terminals. I thought
they might have been like a Linksys WRT-54G which has
a firmware in ROM that is easy to flash and get it
doing all sorts of different things. Even with that,
if I wanted to use it as a webserver the storage of
the files would be difficult with only 16megs of ROM
space that would have to hold the files and the OS. I
didn't know if there were WinTerm serial terminals
that used Compact Flash or SD cards so that I would
simply have to format and install NetBSD on a Flash
disk and it would then run like a regular computer
once booted up. So thank you, thank you, thank you.

I learned something new today, which is not hard when
computers are not your job, but just your hobby. I do
plan to use a KVM switch to hook up the NetBSD "web
server" and my Linux Work desktop to the same LCD and
keyboard and mouse, so it will be low power,
especially when I have the LCD off most of the time.
My 166 only has one fan as well on the Power Supply,
but it runs all the time, so I don't think I will get
the 20watts you get with your 486, but that is cool.

mowestusa

http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC