Subject: Problems with Maple V under emulation
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeff_W <jgw@tx0.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/20/2007 14:30:45
I acquired a copy of Maple V rel.5 for linux and am trying to get it running
on netbsd-3.0.1 under emulation.  I've got the following suse 10 sets installed:
suse_base-10.0nb3   Linux compatibility package
suse_compat-10.0nb1 Linux compatibility package with old shared libraries
suse_expat-10.0nb1  Linux compatibility package for expat binaries
suse_freetype2-10.0nb3 Linux compatibility package for FreeType2 library
suse_libpng-10.0nb2 Linux compatibility package for the PNG library
suse_fontconfig-10.0nb2 Linux compatibility package for fontconfig binaries
suse_x11-10.0nb2    Linux compatibility package for X11 binaries
suse_gtk2-10.0nb2   Linux compatibility package for GTK2 binaries
suse_libjpeg-10.0nb1 Linux compatibility package for the JPEG library
suse_libtiff-10.0nb3 Linux compatibility package for the TIFF library
suse_locale-10.0nb1 Locale files for the Linux compatibility package
suse_aspell-10.0nb1 Linux compatibility package for Aspell library

and I've got /emul/linux/proc mounted like so:
procfs on /usr/pkg/emul/linux/proc type procfs (local)

I've also changed the various scripts under /emul/linux/usr/local/maple/bin to
call /emul/linux/bin/sh and did the bin/maple.system.type hack for adding a "NetBSD"
option per the 'Maple on NetBSD' page.

This is what I get when I try to run TestMaple:

# cd ../bin/ && ./TestMaple
# Test l00: for distributed versions of MAPLE
./maple: line 162: /emul/linux/usr/local/maple/bin_IBM_INTEL_LINUX/mapleTTY: cannot execute binary file
./maple: line 162: /emul/linux/usr/local/maple/bin_IBM_INTEL_LINUX/mapleTTY: Success
1,82d0
< # Test l00: for distributed versions of MAPLE
< #-->words(-1):
< 1/5
< #-->quit
rm: cannot remove `ZMpLtmp': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `ZMpLtmp.m': No such file or directory

If I try to run ../bin_IBM_INTEL_LINUX/mapleTTY directly I get this:
# bin_IBM_INTEL_LINUX/mapleTTY
bin_IBM_INTEL_LINUX/mapleTTY: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.

file shows the binary like so:
# file bin_IBM_INTEL_LINUX/mapleTTY
bin_IBM_INTEL_LINUX/mapleTTY: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

Maybe I need so other libraries?  I've run firefox-linux on this system so I assume all
if well with the kernel; sysctl show this:
# sysctl -a | grep -i linux
emul.linux.kern.ostype = Linux
emul.linux.kern.osrelease = 2.4.18
emul.linux.kern.osversion = #0 Wed Feb 20 20:00:02 CET 2002

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Jeff W.