Subject: How to use 3.1 XFree86 driver for S3Vision864
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/13/2007 10:30:20
I'm brand new to BSDs.

I have an IBM 486-DX4-100 with 32 MB ram, with on-board S3Vision864
video.  It used to run Debian Sarge (with Woody's 3.1 XFree86 Driver)
since it doesn't run well at all with vesa.  When I tried upgrading
Sarge to Etch it hosed libc6.

So I figured I'd try the BSDs.

I've successfully installed and run from the console both NetBSD and
OpenBSD.  However, the focus on OBSD seems to be on routers, firewalls
and other specialty infrastructure boxes or newer hardware.  I need
something that is happy to run on my old box in both console and X and
stay up-to-date re security.  For this reason, NetBSD may be the best
fit from a philisophical perspective.

However, to get a comfortable X running, I either need the recent X to
support my old S3Vision864 or I need a 3.? driver.  If I stick with a
3.? driver, am I opening up to security issues at all?

What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Doug.