Subject: Re: Updating gnome 2.16 -> 2.18
To: Huub <huubvanniekerk@gmail.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/09/2007 07:30:56
Huub <huubvanniekerk@gmail.com> writes:

> Running 3.1/i396, I want to update gnome. Reading chapter 22.3 in the
> Docs, I find it's no easy task. I thought there used to be a script
> taking care of it. Am I correct (if yes: where can I find it?)

I believe that updating gnome is really just a special case of updating
to later pkgsrc.

I use pkgsrc/sysutils/pkg_rolling-replace to update.  It largely does
what I want, and if you're comfortable building packages from source it
may be helpful to you.   Basically it's a way to do 'make replace' in
the right order for all packages needing to be rebuilt, either because
they are out of date, or because a dependency was rebuilt.

I have been rebuilding gnome this way for a year with basically good
results.