Subject: Re: slow down computer (because it powers down when compiling)?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Lord <netbsd@lordynet.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2007 15:12:36
On 23 May 2007, at 18:17, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I have a laptop that normally powers down when I am compiling some
> software. I guess it is a feature when it overheats. Other than that it
> works fine (and has been on 99.99% of the time for over 6 months).
>
> Any suggestions on how I can get it to run slower? I am guessing if there
> is a way to make it slower it wouldn't overheat.

I have similar with a desktop using Asus P4S800D-X m/b. On XP the
temperature control seems to work. On both NetBSD and Ubuntu I've
tried with different sensor modules but none seem to be detected. On
Ubuntu some benchmarks seem around 67% of what I get from NetBSD but
Ubuntu seems stable and NetBSD would hang after between a few minutes
to couple of days depending on ambient temperature and load. I've now
underclocked in bios from 2.66GHz to 2.0GHz and NetBSD hasn't locked
up since with cpu temp check from bios being 4C lower. If we have
similar hot summer to last years I'd expect increase in ambient by
about 8C so not much chance I can use NetBSD then. Critical cpu temp
seems to be about 47C which seems rather low so I might try refit of
cpu/heatsink. I've already added an extra case fan but no amount of
fan cooling is going to take internal temp below ambient. I'll also
try a bios upgrade if one is available and last resort will be a
replacement cpu. Last week I updated most of 650 packages from source
without any overheating problem being evident.

David