Subject: Re: An old unix Issue the Delete key how do you fix it
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/04/2007 21:29:23
On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 08:13:25PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org> writes:
>
> > On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 10:56:07AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >> "Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@stderr.spb.ru> writes:
> >>
> >> Default seems to be <- is BS and Delete DEL.
> >
> > For me it is both DEL. Aren't you using USB keyboard?
>
> You are quite right.  On my box at work I have an IBM Thinkpad-style
> keyboard which is USB, and that's been sufficiently hassle-free that I
> forgot it was USB.  On my actual Thinkpad, both Backspace and Delete map
> to DEL.  This actually feels wrong; it seems that Delete should map to
> ^[[3~ similarly to Insert.

This has been done in rev. 1.2 of src/sys/dev/pckbc/wskbdmap_mfii.c by
Matthias Drochner and reverted in rev. 1.20 by Chuck Cranor.

IMHO the revert is wrong, because it makes the Delete key behave in
an unexpected way and makes it actually useless, because it duplicates the
backspace (<--) key.

Pavel