Subject: Re: An old unix Issue the Delete key how do you fix it
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@stderr.spb.ru>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/04/2007 01:24:36
James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote:

> Greg Troxel wrote:
> > Someday I'll perhaps get around to spiffing up the guide to explain
> > this.
>
> In case you need some encouragement...
>
> One of these days, I'd like to do/see a presentation called "Journey of a
> Keystroke" that walked through all the layers of mediation and
> interpretation, and how they're controlled.  I'd like to know why --
> sooner or later, with enough indirection via ssh/rsh -- the backspace key
> starts being echoed as ^H when I mistype a search in less(1).

less doesn't check "kb" capability and you have stty erase '^?' on
that system.

> Extra credit for explaining how to get the Compose key working in X
> in less than 30 minutes.

I can't test it at the moment, but make sure your compose key is
Multi_key.  E.g. add to the keyboard InputDevice section something
like:

        Option "XkbModel" "pc105compose"

to make right windows key Multi_key.  Your locale should be set
correctly too (i.e. only the compose sequences that result in the
chars from the locale charset will work).  See xc/nls/Compose for
details.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe@stderr.spb.ru                       |       Zu Grunde kommen