Subject: Re: An old unix Issue the Delete key how do you fix it
To: mowestusa <mowestusa@yahoo.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/03/2007 08:23:23
That's mostly right, but in the text-mode console on my desktop (i386),
the 'backspace' key produces ^H, and the "Delete" key (near
Insert/home/end) is bound to ASCII DEL (0177).  The terminal has DEL
(^?) as the erase key, and my shell (bash) treats BS (^H) as delete.

I think the important thing is that the key that's in the 'tradtional
delete' position (BS on PCs) behaves as traditional DEL (delete left),
and also that in X11 the "Delete" key does delete right.   The latter
point seems not to be messy.

Note that I'm using "BS" and "DEL" to denote ASCII characters.  See
/usr/share/misc/ascii.  I have always seen them written in upper case.

You are right that this would be a good thing to have in the guide.
Contributions are always welcome.