Subject: An old unix Issue the Delete key how do you fix it
To: NetBSD-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: mowestusa <mowestusa@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/01/2007 19:21:43
I'm sorry to have to ask this, but it seems like I
have tried all of the suggestions, but I must be
missing something very simple about some sort of
configuration.

Issue:

The Delete key functions exactly like the Backspace
key. Both erase characters to the left of the cursor.

 - Personally I would simply like the delete key to
erase the characters to the right of the cursor.

In the NetBSD Guide I found the following information:

You may need to type one of the following commands to
get your delete key to work properly, depending on
your keyboard:
                # stty erase '^h'
                # stty erase '^?'

 - The first option made the backspace key
malfunction.
 - The second one did nothing to fix the issue.

I found this hopeful solution in the FreeBSD Wiki:

Bash, fixing delete key behavior

DEL key in bash sometimes doesn't work. Here is how to
fix it:

    * in /etc/profile add this line:

export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc

    * create /etc/inputrc and add following lines

set meta-flag on
set input-meta on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on

"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[4~": end-of-line
"\e[5~": beginning-of-history
"\e[6~": end-of-history
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[2~": quoted-insert
"\e[5C": forward-word
"\e[5D": backward-word

Should work after you login next time.

 - I thought this would do the trick, because the more
I read about this behavior of the delete key most of
the suggestions pointed to inputrc solving the issue.
However, this changed nothing. I still have the same
delete key behavior after I log in and even after a
reboot.

The specs:

Using: NetBSD 3.1, Bash 3.2, Vim 7.0, and the computer
is a Toshiba Laptop Satellite Pro 465CDX which is a
Pentium 166 with 32 megs of ram. I'm only running in
the console and the $TERM is set to "wsvt25".

If anyone could point me in the proper direction to
fix this issue I would appreciate it. I feel bad
asking, because I know that this is a long standing
characteristic of Unix OS's. However, I seem to be
missing what fixes this issue in the NetBSD world.