Subject: Notification for failed drive on hardware RAID controller
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Derrick Lobo <derrick@givex.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/16/2007 10:55:49
I pulled this from one of the freebsd forums.... Since I have similar
needs with netbsd.

----------------
Modern RAID controllers are convenient because they have their own BIOS
that can build and maintain the attached drives into a RAID drive. The
OS just has to see the drive and it's usable.

The controller manufacturers have created software to run within the OS
to manage these RAID drives. Versions for Windows have been around for
quite awhile and I am now seeing versions that run in X as well.

running a server that typicHowever, when ally has no windowed
environment available, there is no software to manage the RAID and
controller. Specifically no way to be alerted if a drive in the RAID
pool fails.

RAID is great, and an available hotspare can be configured to take over
in case of a drive failure - but one still needs to be alerted so the
failed drive can be replaced.

Does anyone have an idea how to accomplish this?

Derrick