Subject: drift between csup/cvs, noisy updates, making it more efficient to
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/15/2007 12:59:14
I found cvs tiresome, and switched to csup. But then I noticed csup
wasn't updating where I read mirror, so I tried the trivial switch back.
Its a very noisy cut between csup and cvs. heaps of stuff appeared to
have fallen out of CVS maintenance.

Probably, what I am trying to do is silly, but it does occur to me
comment that the modality of access sure appears to effect *what* you
get, rather than how you get it, or how timely you see updates.

Shouldn't we be moving to a situation where the modality of access is
mostly immaterial, and if you want CVS, you get it, be it by rsync, or
ftp, or csup or ..

So, am I missing something? is/are there some well known tricks to make
it easier to be 'agile' about *how* you get NetBSD current, which don't
make such impact on *what* you get?

(the one I know about is to run a find script over the CVS/Root files,
hard-linking o they are all one file, which I have been told can make
some stuff more efficient)

-George