Subject: wireless connection goes down unless I ping every 170 seconds
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/21/2006 06:19:39
I am using a Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with ural.

(Hmmm... should there be a hardlink for ural.4 man page? Should ral.4
mention "ural"?)

I have used it off and on for several months. And now for past six months
it has been used constantly.

But this summer, I found it lost its connection frequently. Even if I had
open ssh sessions to it (sshd has default TCPKeepAlive yes).

From some trial and error, I found if I ping at least one packet (9 bytes)
every 170 seconds to my router (wireless gateway) my connection stays up.
I do: ping -i 170 -s 1 192.168.1.1

I have been doing this for months and it works fine. But whenever I don't
do that, my connection will be down within a few minutes.

This has been on three different wireless gateways. So now I am beginning
to think the problem is local to my adapter or ural.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

(I do have a different system that I will try with a different
builtin wireless and also can try this USB wireless on it. But haven't got
to that yet.)