Subject: Re: rsync alternative?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/02/2006 08:56:50
On 11/2/06, Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> wrote:

> On 1-Nov-06, at 7:50 PM, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> > I suppose I could write a script as part of the rsync process that
> > sets flags on the other filesystem to ensure they stay there, but that
> > seems kind of clumsy.
>
> Only slightly less clumsy would be to have cron run an 'mtree' on the
> filesystem and have that rsync'd as well.
>
> The world needs a better rsync. I concur.

I'm not sure if this is the time or place, but is the statement really
"the world needs a better rsync" or "BSD people need to make their own
rsync"?

There are other fileystems out there that have attributes that rsync
probably doesn't handle, and I'm not sure it makes sense to blame
rsync for it.

Maybe the best solution would be for someone in the BSD community to
come up with a simple, easily available code patch for rsync that can
be applied via pkgsrc? Or simply fork the entire thing and rename it
bsdrsync or something...

I'm not a developer, unfortunately, or I'd look into it more.

As for fixing the flags after the fact, I suppose there are various
ways of doing it, but I think it would require one to stat every file
in the filesystem looking for the attributes that are desired to be
preserved, right? Not very efficient on large filesystems, but do-able
I suppose.

Andy