Subject: Re: Dell Support and NetBSD?
To: Michael Gorsuch <mgorsuch@fogcreek.com>
From: Joseph A. Dacuma <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/10/2006 22:57:04
> Greetings all.  Is anyone here running production NetBSD systems on Dell
> hardware?  If so, what have your experiences been with the support staff
> when hardware fails?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Michael

Hello Mr. Gorsuch,

Were using Dell Power Edge 2800 mainly for file, DNS, DHCP server
purposes. Also, were using an old Dell Optiplex G1 as our packet filtering
router. Running on NetBSD 3.1_RC3 with no serious heart thumping hardware
problems yet (knock on wood).

Except for the Optiplex G1, where the 4 GB disk developed bad sectors and
busted CDROM drive. Both failed way past their warranty period.

Reseller and/or vendor support here depends on the agreement that came
with the purchase of the machine. It could vary from a next business day ,
on-site 24x7 support etc. Again, as for Dell, no experience yet. But
others generally suck unless I bump into familiar personnel to expedite
our requests.

BTW, I'm from Philippines.

HTH,

Joseph