Subject: Re: RealTek 8168 ethernet support?
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@NetBSD.org>
From: Lasse =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/02/2006 00:40:21
Hi Jeff,

>> Can you please send the 'not configured' line for your unmatched
>> ethernet?  It may be just a matter of matching it in the current driver=

>Actually, sending the entire dmesg is probably better, just in case.

That's kinda hard, as I have no floppy in the machine, nor any other writable
media device. Retyping the whole dmesg from the screen is something I would
rather avoid :-)

Anyway, the "not configured" line is:

Realtek Semiconductor product 0x8168 (ethernet network, revision 0x01)r
 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 not configured

When I boot the generic_mp kernel (http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/
netbsd-4/200608300000Z/i386/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.MP.gz) I get this
slightly better line in dmesg:

Realtek Semiconductor 8168 10/100/1000 Ethernet (ethernet network, revision
 0x01) at pci2 dev 0 function 0 not configured

Just now, skimming the motherboard manual, I see that the NIC is referred to
there as a RTL8111B, although I doubt it makes any difference.

From my search, I understand that Dieter Roelants opened a PR (kern/33761)
back in June, about this device. The PR seems to remain open, but the patch
he attached seems to have been applied, and I can find the code in the
netbsd-4 branch. That's why I took a snapshot kernel from this branch. It
would seem the device hasn't been enabled, though.

I could probably compile a kernel myself, but as this machine is going to
become my fast all-purpose server and build-machine, I would prefer getting
it going first, as all other machines I have are painfully slow in comparison.

Let me say up front that although I have compiled NetBSD (successfully) in
the past, I am first and foremost a user, and not a kernel or OS hacker by
any means.

-Lasse