Subject: Re: Can't install NetBSD 3.0 or 3.0.1 on my hard disk
To: Frank Petitjean <smalljim95@yahoo.fr>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/27/2006 20:47:17
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 01:55:51PM +0000, Frank Petitjean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install NetBSD on my hard disk.
> My IDE controler is a VIA VT82C586A that seems to be supported by NetBSD.
>
> The CDROM boots without any problem.
> The only strange thing is that the disk geometry that is detectd by NetBSD is
> 1024 Cylinders 255 heads 63sectors instead of a BIOS geometry of 9729/255/63LBA

Well, the maximum number of cylinders that the BIOS geometry can have is 1024.
The 9729 will have been generated by dividing the total number of sectors
by the number in a cylinder.  So this isn't an issue.

> Every thing is Ok until I am asked for the device and the directory from where
> I want install. I leave the default parameters (device=cd0a and dir=/i386/
> binary/sets)
> Then I have the error message "cd0(viaide0:1:0) non media hardware failure"
> and the installation stops.

Looks as though NetBSD is failing to read directly from your CDROM.
All the earlier reads are done using BIOS commands.

> What can I do to fix the problem ?

Dunno :-)

	David

--