Subject: USB Card reader on NetBSD/amd64 3.0
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/24/2006 05:50:44
--------------enigEC7157732A9596FB0100BD89

Hello all,

   First of all, my NetBSD system has been acting up for another reason
than the one mentioned in this post, so it has been sent away for some
service. That means I can't try anything for a while, but I will as soon
as I get it back.

   Anyway.. I have a NetBSD/amd64 3.0 system which I am, apart from two
issues, very happy with.

   When I bought the box for my system, it came with a card reader. It
had some funky 1x5-pin connector which I used to connect it to an
internal 2x5-1 USB-port.

   I almost expected it to Just Work, since I was pleasantly surprised
that the card reader my sister bought worked in NetBSD/i386 3.0 without
any fuzz. But when I insert an SD card in my card reader, the LED on the
device lights up, but I get no reaction from NetBSD (usually there's
some green text on the console).

   Just to rule out hardware problems I tried booting up the Ubuntu
Install/LiveCD 6.something. When I inserted the SD card there, it did
react. On the console I saw that I got some kind of /dev/sdc schtick, so
I'm fairly sure there's no problem with the card, the card reader och
the USB host.

   But why doesn't my NetBSD system react when I insert the SD card?

   I guess the question boils down to "Is NetBSD even recognizing the
card reader"? It seems like it isn't, because then I run "usbdevs", it
lists four ports (which, afaik, is what the motherboard has), but it
does not list the card reader.

   On NetBSD/i386 I could run pciid to scan the pci bus, and I would see
devices that weren't even detected by NetBSD, if there were any, I
guess. Isn't that the point of "usbdevs"? To be able to see all units
detected by the USB host, despite if the OS actually knows how to use
them or not?

   What could be the reason that NetBSD doesn't detect the card reader?

   I will get back with an dmesg when I get my system back, but does
anyone have any theories?

--=20
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson
Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.