Subject: Re: Can't boot without boot CD
To: Reed Sheridan <rsheridan6@gmail.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/19/2006 22:09:36
On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 03:22:29PM -0500, Reed Sheridan wrote:
> I've recently installed NetBSD on an old Dell, and it doesn't boot
> properly.  It goes to a screen that says "fn: diskn \n 1: NetBSD," but
> when I press 1 it says "error ?"

Well 'error ?' is (should be) an invalid input keycode.
As such it doesn't depend on the return value of any bios call other than
the one that returned the key value itself.
(The table of valid input keycodes is generated at the same time as the
menu strings are output.)

As some check, try pressing the 'F1' key, it should cause the bootstrap
code to reload itself.

You should also be able to set a default (after timeout) boot partition
with 'fdisk -B'.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk