Subject: Re: Can't boot without boot CD
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Video Mike <bsdfun@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/19/2006 06:29:35
Dear Reed,

I think that your problem could be that the BIOS
for that computer will not properly support the
size of the hard drive that your trying to boot
from.  I have encountered two systems so far that
the BIOS correctly reports the size of the drive
and allows a successful installation of NetBSD,
but, when you go to boot her up, she complains in
exactly the same way you described.

Here's a cute little trick that I've used in both
cases.  Since NetBSD doesn't have to depend upon
the BIOS parameters you can try this and see if
it works for you:

     Temporarily disconnect your current drive and
     connect up a smaller drive (say 8GB) and allow
     the BIOS to grab its parameters.  Hopefully you
     can defeat the automatic drive configuration
     and keep the smaller drive's params.  Re-connect
     the larger drive without changing the BIOS and
     see if it will boot then.  If it does boot, then
     you should be in good shape and doing a "df"
     should report all of the correct partition sizes
     you set up on the drive during the installation.
     Let me know if it works.

--Video mike--