Subject: Re: kernel panic on or after bootup
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Das (sent by Nabble.com) <lists@nabble.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/2006 16:02:02
I would install FreeBSD, and see what happens as a test if you don't suspect
hardware problems, and if FreeBSD gives you problems, then it's just
hardware compatibility is all.

Then you might need to disable, or enable different hardware features, in
the BIOS, like APIC, ACPI, dma, hard drive controllers, PNP Bios, etc.. From
what I have seen as BSD steps more into the world of APIC, things get a bit
more touchy, I'm not sure, but I think the GENERIC kernel might have some
APIC support compiled in it.

Either way if it's in there, or not, it's good to find out what your board
wants, or can get away with.
You might just need to recompile a kernel to get some better support by
turning off alot of unnecessary things that might just be fouling it up.

BSD hardware support can be problematic at times.
Sent from the netbsd-help forum at Nabble.com.