Subject: Re: how to upgrade NetBSD
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer.aydogan@gmail.com>
From: Christoph Leuzinger <christoph.leuzinger@westworks.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/2006 19:00:20
Am 07.07.2006 15:07 schrieb Zafer Aydogan:

> I have to build an Iso Image to get sysinst, which I do, but actually
> I'm looking for the steps, that sysinst is doing, when upgrading.

That's how I do it:

1) get the binary sets and checksum files from your FTP mirror, e. g.

	$ ftp ftp://ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-3.0/i386/binary/sets/
	ftp> mget *

2) verify checksums

3) backup your kernel

	# cp /netbsd /netbsd.old

4) extract kernel, e. g.

  	# tar xpzf kern-GENERIC.tgz -C /

5) reboot the new kernel

6) extract desired sets (except for etc.tgz!), e. g.

	# for i in base.tgz comp.tgz games.tgz man.tgz misc.tgz \
	  text.tgz xbase.tgz xcomp.tgz xetc.tgz xfont.tgz xserver.tgz; \
	  do tar xpfz $i -C /; done

7) update /etc files

	# mkdir /tmp/temproot
	# tar xpfz etc.tgz -C /tmp/temproot
	# etcupdate -a -b /tmp/temproot

8) reboot

> When I extract all distribution sets manually, a lot of files have
> wrong permissions and wrong owner/group.

Use "tar xpzf" ("p" is important).

Christoph