Subject: Re: how to upgrade NetBSD
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer.aydogan@gmail.com>
From: Mark Kirby <mark@coris.org.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/2006 14:13:53
On Friday 07 July 2006 14:07, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> I have to build an Iso Image to get sysinst, which I do, but actually
> I'm looking for the steps, that sysinst is doing, when upgrading.
>
> When I extract all distribution sets manually, a lot of files have
> wrong permissions and wrong owner/group. Some files are not
> configured.

I just updated my laptop so heres what i did.

I installed the new kernel on the laptop and rebooted, then I copied the sets
to the laptop, then extracted them to / (except etc.tgz). Make sure you pass
the -p flag to tar to keep the permissions intact.

after that run postinstall -s /path/to/etc.tgz fix
then run etcupdate -s /path/to/etc.tgz

that should now give you a working system.

Hope that helps

Mark