Subject: Re: init died
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer.aydogan@gmail.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/05/2006 14:30:20
--uCPdOCrL+PnN2Vxy

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 01:38:46PM +0200, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> There is no reason to be rude. Especially, if you are a NetBSD developer.

I honestly thought someone was playing a trick on you, sorry.

Now, if you tell me it is not the case, well, I'll just say that the
kernel only knows about '/', and nothing else.  Therefore it needs
/sbin/init to be on it.  To load init, it needs /lib/libc.so and
/libexec/ld.so_elf.  Then init runs /etc/rc, which in turn needs
/bin/sh.

In conclusion, the root partition _must_ contain /etc, /bin, /lib,
/libexec and /sbin.  And you'd better keep /rescue there, too.

I don't think it'd be wise to make sysinst prevent the user from doing
that.  After all, we wouldn't make rm prevent the user from doing -Rf /.

> 2006/7/5, Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>:
> >On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 12:43:07AM +0200, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> >> hi list,
> >>
> >> during the installation (3.99.21) with sysinst I created partitions
> >> for /bin /sbin /usr /etc /var and a few more.
> >> But since /sbin is a separate partition, it isn't found during boot,
> >> because the mount points are mounted after /sbin/init has been
> >> executed.
> >> Is this a bug, or why are the partitions mounted that late ?
> >
> >This cannot possibly be a genuine post, sorry.

--=20

--uCPdOCrL+PnN2Vxy

--uCPdOCrL+PnN2Vxy--