Subject: Re: Questions on gnome
To: Huub <huubvanniekerk@gmail.com>
From: Noud deBrouwer <noud4@home.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/03/2006 17:58:25
Huub wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed (and use) gnome, which works fine. But:
> - Gnome always opens with a Login-terminal. This is defined in

i installed (and use) gnome from version 1.1.8-ish upward to 2.12.3.
never ever found Gnome presenting me w/ a  .. what's a "Login-terminal"
.. a terminal-emulator nor xterm..by itself..so to say.
Gnome always opens the welcome-screen and the desktop,
given no further configuration.

> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. When I try to disable this login terminal, X

is it defined in ?

> refuses to start. Why?

would it be not defined in or not X refuses to start, worthwhile to ask
the Why?

> - Before gnome starts, some other wm is started first. I can see this at

X refuses to start and some other wm is started, i can not match.

> start and when leaving gnome. Because often, after leaving gnome, I get

X refuses to start and some other wm is started and gnome is starting, i
can not match.

> some other xterminal, in which I have to type exit before leaving X
> completely. What is this and how can I get rid of it?

not being known to the subject?
no knowledge-investment before asking?
how to decently start Gnome? f.i. & as a starter, by:
echo gnome-session > ~/.xinitrc

(mind..restore /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc the way you did get it..f.t.m.)

maybe pkgsrc does not and should give a MESSAGE about some action
to get the expected Gnome and not the window manager. (i don't recall
where i did find this inform. some 6-8years ago)
> Thanks.
>
> Huub

--Noud