Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.6_Stable to 3.0 ?
To: None <deorth@gmail.com>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/30/2006 12:33:37
"Alan Horn" <deorth@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a system running 1.6_Stable that I'd like to investigate the
> possibility of upgrading it in-place to 3.0 (after two years of uptime it
> finally did hang on a hardware issue so now is an appropriate upgrade time
> ;)
>
> This is a big jump. Has anyone attempted this, and what are the gotchas ?
> Should I do a phased upgrade via 2.0 on the way ?

 I went directly from 1.6.1_STABLE to 3.0_STABLE with no problems.  As the
other responder noted, run the "postinstall" script, it's awesome!  It
does take some time, like about 45 minutes for me to go through everything
i have modified, but it works very well.

 All i did was:

1) install 3.0 kernel

2) reboot

3) cd / ; tar zxf  each .tgz file

4) postinstall

 I had a bunch of pkgsrc to reinstall, too.

> One other possibility. The system is raidframe mirrored on all filesystems.
> How feasible is it to break that mirror and keep the original 1.6 in
> degraded mode whilst building a completely new 3.0 install on the other
> disk, advancing that disk to raidframe and wiping out the original when I
> have a good deployment.

 I'm not sure about this, i don't use raidframe.

 -johan