Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.6_Stable to 3.0 ?
To: Alan Horn <deorth@gmail.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/30/2006 15:16:23
--HbTzC+AcCowV2D6d

hi,

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 01:30:07AM -0700, Alan Horn wrote:
> I have a system running 1.6_Stable that I'd like to investigate the
> possibility of upgrading it in-place to 3.0 (after two years of uptime
> it finally did hang on a hardware issue so now is an appropriate
> upgrade time ;)
>=20
> This is a big jump. Has anyone attempted this, and what are the
> gotchas ?  Should I do a phased upgrade via 2.0 on the way ?

i upgraded my main server from 1.6.2_STABLE to 3.0_STABLE, remotely,
without any issues.  the thing which took me most time (apart from
automatically building all the packages in a pkg_comp chroot) was
postfix configuration migration, but even that took less than an hour.

just make sure you carefuly fix things with postinstall and properly
merged local configuration with etcupdate.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --

--HbTzC+AcCowV2D6d