Subject: Upgrading from 1.6_Stable to 3.0 ?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Horn <deorth@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/30/2006 01:30:07
------=_Part_6766_27056055.1148977807419

Hi,

I have a system running 1.6_Stable that I'd like to investigate the
possibility of upgrading it in-place to 3.0 (after two years of uptime it
finally did hang on a hardware issue so now is an appropriate upgrade time
;)

This is a big jump. Has anyone attempted this, and what are the gotchas ?
Should I do a phased upgrade via 2.0 on the way ?

One other possibility. The system is raidframe mirrored on all filesystems.
How feasible is it to break that mirror and keep the original 1.6 in
degraded mode whilst building a completely new 3.0 install on the other
disk, advancing that disk to raidframe and wiping out the original when I
have a good deployment.

I'd prefer not to take the system offline or buy additional disks if I can
avoid it.

Thoughts ?

Cheers,

Al

------=_Part_6766_27056055.1148977807419

1.6 in degraded mode whilst building a completely new 3.0 install on the other disk, advancing that disk to raidframe and wiping out the original when I have a good deployment.<br><br>I'd prefer not to take the system offline or buy additional disks if I can avoid it.

------=_Part_6766_27056055.1148977807419--