Subject: Is network sound no possible with esound/esd on NetBSD?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@onlinehome.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/28/2006 00:56:20
Hi,

I had no luck with NetBSD 3.0 and 3.99.5 (i386 and xen). This is what
should work:

1. Starting the esound daemon on the sound server host:

	$ esd -tcp -public -port 16001 &

2. Let the music program on the client host (like xmms-esound) know, to
send the sound over the network to the esound daemon on the server host:

	$ bash
	$ export ESPEAKER=192.168.1.2:16001
	$ xmms

Choose an audio file for playback and you should get the sound from the
sound server 192.168.1.2, where the esound daemon "esd" is running at
port 16001.

It works for me here with Linux , so maybe it's a general issue with
esound on NetBSD. Is it working for anybody outh there? And yes, the
sound cards  work under NetBSD, even with esound - but for local sound
output only. The network between the two hosts seems to work okay for all
other protocols.

Greetings & and many thanks for your help,
Mark Weinem