Subject: rs232 cable splitting/sharing
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Tomas D <u0giene@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/26/2006 01:24:33
Hi, I need general help with rs232, sharing serial cable in particular.

I have one of systems connected to the pager system using rs232. I want to connect another system
to pager system too but there's only one rs232 input to it(and it's used). I was thinking about
splitting cable and connecting existing and new systems to paging system. My question is what
would happen if both systems tried to send data over serial connection at the same time? my guess
is that messages would get corrupted and nothing would go to the pagers... if that's the case is
there a device that would buffer message if messages would arrive on rs232 input ports 1 and 2
simultaniusly and then spool messages and deliver them one after the other? I know that it takes
like 1second to send the message but I really need to make sure that everything is delivered.

thanks all for your help!