Subject: Re: Best partitioning scheme?
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Roberto <roberto@redix.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2006 11:52:44
On Wed, May 24, 2006 10:59, David Brownlee wrote:
>  	When setting up a system with separate partitions, my order of
>  	reducing priority other than '/' would be:
>
>  	swap	- 'nuff said
>
>  	/home	- or whereever most of your non system data lives.
>  		  on my laptop this is an ffs2 on cgd encrypted partition
>
>  	/var	- apart from the above this should be where most of the
>  		  changes happen on the disk, so its good to get it off
>  		  the root partition
>
>  	/tmp	- possibly mfs, or more likely just symlink across to
>  		  /var/tmp and save the hassle
>
>  	/usr	- I've stopped making this a separate partition at all
>  		  The contents change very rarely (apart from /usr/pkg),
>  		  and its best thought of as part of the root filesystem
>  		  (IMHO). If you _must_ have a separate partition, make
>  		  it /usr/pkg

If /usr change rarely why not use a separate partition and mount it read-only?
Only when build some packages switch it read-write; then back read-only again.
In case of power fail, the read-only save you a lot of trouble;

And keep small the "/" partition give me the possibility to have a copy of it
in /safe (another read-only partition) with the following advantages:
 - a copy of all file in "/";
 - a second partition to boot from;

No matter desktop or server, the safer configuration the better.
Even if your HD become fragmented in several pertition.

Bye,
Roberto