Subject: Re: Best partitioning scheme?
To: None <luc-netbsd@braziliantranslation.net>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/23/2006 17:45:41
Luciano ES <luc-netbsd@braziliantranslation.net> wrote:
> Hi. I am want to have a NetBSD-based desktop box and intend to use the
> following partitioning scheme in a 20 Gb disk:
>
> label	mount	Mb
> a	/  	500
> b	swap	1,000
> e	/tmp	1,200
> f	/var	600
> g	/usr	10,000
> h	/home	7,000
>
> I have considerable experience with Linux, but almost zero experience with
> BSDs. I have Slackware using almost 6 Gb, and since I intend to install
> NetBSD plus all the Linux compatibility stuff and a handful of Linux
> programs, I figured I'd need at least 10 Gb in /usr. But it is just an
> estimate. I am not sure at all.
>
> What do you think of this scheme? Am I giving too much more or less space than
> I should to any partition? All comments are more than welcome.

 This is my main imap, smtp, and web server.  It has X11R6 and compiled
 pkgs installed in /usr.

Filesystem  1K-blocks      Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a      123646     45677     71787    38%    /
/dev/sd0f      985843    275920    660631    29%    /var
/dev/sd0g     1016452    785641    179989    81%    /usr
/dev/sd0h     6365303   3657263   2389775    60%    /local
mfs:115         63471        28     60270     0%    /tmp

 NetBSD is quite a bit leaner than the Linux distributions i've seen.

 /usr/X11R6 is about 150 MB

 I have about 350 MB of packages installed (/usr/pkg), but this isn't a
 desktop, so you may want to plan on more like 1 GB of packages, for
 things like Mozilla or Firefox.

 My NetBSD & pkgsrc sources are on a NFS mounted file system -- they can
 be quite large.  My NetBSD-3 src tree, complete with compiled versions of
 NetBSD for three architectures and all the compiled object files uses
 about 5 GB . My pkgsrc area uses about 600 MB.

The Build area for pkgsrc (which you can define to be anywhere) needs to
 be multiple GB for large things like Mozilla.

 I think you /usr is probably on the large side, but it just depends on
 where you end up putting NetBSD and pkgsrc sources, if you plan to
 install them.

 Hope that helps.

 -johan