Subject: Re: Best partitioning scheme?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Roberto <roberto@redix.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/23/2006 18:05:19
On Tue, May 23, 2006 15:50, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 10:37:16AM -0300, Luciano ES wrote:
>> I am want to have a NetBSD-based desktop box and intend to use the
>> following partitioning scheme in a 20 Gb disk:
>>
>> label	mount	Mb
>> a	/  	500
>> b	swap	1,000
>> e	/tmp	1,200
>> f	/var	600
>> g	/usr	10,000
>> h	/home	7,000
>>
>> I have considerable experience with Linux, but almost zero experience
>> with BSDs. I have Slackware using almost 6 Gb, and since I intend to
>> install NetBSD plus all the Linux compatibility stuff and a handful of
>> Linux programs, I figured I'd need at least 10 Gb in /usr. But it is
>> just an estimate. I am not sure at all.
>>
>> What do you think of this scheme? Am I giving too much more or less
>> space than I should to any partition? All comments are more than
>> welcome.
>
> i think it's a waste of disk space.  for desktop use i recommend swap
> and one big partition to hold the whole file system.

I do not like a whole partition even on a desktop machine: less safer.

I'm not an expert but I'll suggest the following schema (I will not give you
the part. dim.):

label	mount	Mb
 a	/  	250
 b	swap	??? (depends on RAM: maybe >= RAM;)
 e	/safe   250 (a copy of root partition)
 f	/var	(not enough info) (no /tmp standalone; /tmp -> /var/tmp )
 g	/usr	(not enough info) mount read only
 h	/home	(not enough info: but if you do not mount /usr read-only you could
link /home -> /usr/local/home and use only one partition)

Suggestion?

Roberto