Subject: Re: what can I do?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/20/2006 09:12:42
On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 04:38:15PM -0700, Mark E wrote:
> I haven't had much luck with ftp or telnet, how can I
> open a 'site'?  Are there lists of ip addresses that
> one can connect with?  It asked for user name and
> password with the netbsd ftp address, maybe it was

I think you are asking about "anonymous" ftp, which means the site
is open to the public.  When such a site asks for your id, enter
"anonymous" (without the quotes).  The password doesn't have much
meaning in the anonymous case; most sites ask you to enter your email
address.

As for telnet, you can't use it to login to a host unless you have
an account on that host.  BUT, in NO circumstances should you be using
telnet to login to a shell account _over the Internet_.  Use ssh.
[Telnet really has few uses anymore as far as I can see.  It's a simple
tool for making quick connections to a web server in a text console,
for example.  Most mail servers block telnet these days.]

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/