Subject: Setting PC Card Accton EN2228 under NetBSD 3.0
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <degoor@dir.bg>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/19/2006 14:20:28
Hi again!

Sorry for posting one and the same thing three times - that's my first
post to netbsd-help mail-list.

Anyway, I managed to set the PC card myself and since I bothered you
discussing my problem let me tell you how I fixed it.

I began editing GENERIC_LAPTOP in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf: first I
added

"options PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK=0x8000"
(under Win 98 SE the PC card was found on irq 15).

After having read the "pcmcia" and "options" manpages I added the
following lines to GENERIC_LAPTOP:

"options PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOBASE=0x300
options PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOSIZE=0x0ff
options PCMCIAVERBOSE"
(honestly I don't have any idea if these lines have any effect on the
matter. )

Since I have no USB and SCSI devices on my laptop I commented all
sections in GENERIC_LAPTOP concerning USB and SCSI devices and their
derivatives.

Among the commented lines was the "MII/PHY" section. That proved to be
very important, especially "ukphy*". "ukphy*" line had to be commented
because otherwise the system kept showing the error message "ne0:
device timeout".

After compiling the new kernel, I set a DHCP client on the laptop,
connected it to my DHCP server station and the laptop was allocated IP.
I successfilly ping-ed in both directions, so I assume that the network
adapter setup is OK ... finally.

If anyone has an idea why these setting corrected the problem, I will
be happy to hear it.

Thank you for reading!

Best regards,
degoor