Subject: Re: can't connect to the Internet. 1st time pppoe.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/18/2006 14:22:39
On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 11:35:20PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 01:30:41PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 08:14:01PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > > When I reboot with an automatic setup I repeatedly get the error
> > > "pppoe0: received unexpected PADO".  The message is repeated in
> > > rapid succession, so the console fills up in no time.
> > [...]
> > This isn't quite right.  Looking more carefully, there is an IP address
> > of sorts: "inet 0.0.0.0 -> 0.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000".  This doesn't
> > seem right, though.  Shouldn't those be "real" IP addresses, and with a
> > netmask of 0xffffff00 or 0xffffffff?  Those 0.0.0.0 and 0.0.0.1 are
> > the numbers I supply in the /etc/ifconfig.pppoe0 file.  Should I not
> > supply them, and only declare the pppoe interface "up"?
>
> No, this is correct. pppoe is supposed to change these when it has successully
> established a session with the server.
>
> Can you try to tcpdump the underlying interface (tcpdump -s 1500) to see
> what is happening on wire ?

I did this while connecting with a WindowsXP machine using the proprietary
software tools supplied by the provider.  The Windows machine succeeded
in connecting to the Internet.

I now have a huge 6MB file of tcpdump output, but I don't know how to use it.
Even tcpdumbp -r yields a file that is 280KB.  Are there some keywords that
I can grep on to find the necessary information to get NetBSD to connect?

Thanks much.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/