Subject: Sshd blocked with heavy IO?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/14/2006 16:02:42
Hello,

I am running NetBSD-2.0 with a small kernel (only necessary stuff ie
inet4, ffs etc).

I have noticed the following behaviour on and off over the past year
or two (running a large kernel included):

-Run sshd and httpd
-Connect to both
-Do something IO intensive (ie. extract pkgsrc.tar.gz)
-ssh connection drops, unable to reconnect for about 30 minutes, then
reconnect OK
-http connections are fine during this whole process.

I'm getting a flat: "Connection refused" when trying to connect via
ssh during this time.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Trying to reproduce this has lead to httpd being refused and now sshd is OK=
...?

I'm using swap during this process, as there isn't much RAM (128mb) so
this might be an issue but I can't put my finger on what is happening.

I plan to upgrade to 3.0 and pf (from ipfilter) in a month or two.

Thanks,

Amadeus