Subject: can't connect to the Internet. 1st time pppoe.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/14/2006 20:14:01
My new provider uses pppoe.  Anyway, I followed the instructions in
"http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/pppoe/".  The manual
setup gave the output that was documented, so I thought it was
working, but I can't get out to the Internet.

When I reboot with an automatic setup I repeatedly get the error
"pppoe0: received unexpected PADO".  The message is repeated in
rapid succession, so the console fills up in no time.

Having zero experience with pppoe, I really don't know where to
start.  It does seem strange to me that nowhere is there an IP
address associated with this connection, at least not one shown
by "ifconfig -a".  Should there be one?  I don't have an /etc/
ifconfig.re0 file for my interface, only the line in /etc/ifconfig.
pppoe0, "! /sbin/pppoectl -e re0 $int".  Should I create one?  Any
pointers on how to debug this thing much appreciated.  BTW, this
setup is on NetBSD 3.0.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/