Subject: Re: real uphill struggle with 3.0 install -- now no syslog
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/01/2006 06:03:15
On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 07:07:10PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> So I look closely at the bootup messages only to see that there are
> a BUNCH of problems (below).  I really have no idea when they started;
> from the outset as far as I know.
> Adding interface aliases:
> Building databases...
> dev_mkdb: not found
> install: not found
> install: not found
> eval: /usr/sbin/wsconscfg: not found

Although this was totally due to my own ineptitude, and I've solved it
(finally), I'd like to move one response I got privately back on the
list as it might be useful to others at some point in time.

One person suggested I change permissions: "please check your permissions
it should be 666 for rc.conf under /etc/defaults".

I say "change" because /etc/defaults/rc.conf shipped 444, and /etc/rc.conf
shipped 644.  They seem reasonable to me (666 seems dangerous), but if they
are not the intended standard permissions then the distribution should be
changed (needs pr).  Also, I didn't see where the correct permissions for
these files (also all the scripts under rc.d) were documented in man.

JFYI

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/