Subject: Re: real uphill struggle with 3.0 install -- now no syslog
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/30/2006 20:11:03
On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 07:07:10PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> Went to restart syslogd after making an entry in /etc/syslog.conf only
> to find that it wasn't running.  It's not starting up at boot for some
> reason, despite "syslogd=YES" in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>
> So I look closely at the bootup messages only to see that there are
> a BUNCH of problems (below).  I really have no idea when they started;
> from the outset as far as I know.
> Adding interface aliases:
> Building databases...
> dev_mkdb: not found
> install: not found
> install: not found
> eval: /usr/sbin/wsconscfg: not found

My fault.  Sorry for the noise.  Just been up to many hours struggling
to get NetBSD 3.0 working.

Mistake was that I thought critical_filesystems_remote= in /etc/rc.conf
_added to_ the defaults, not overwrote them.  Says right there "can be
overridden".  Oh, well.

> ... whenever I turn off the machine I get the message: "You
> have write permissions turned off.  No reply possible."  ...

This one is still there, though.  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong
very welcome.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/